Classroom Tour

By Kimberly Harper - 10:33 PM

Let me start by saying that I teach in best district at the BEST school! It's so wonderful that many families choose to move to our area just so their children can attend our schools!! My school is the largest elementary school in the district (only behind the two high schools in size). Since I started teaching, we have only grown and grown and GROWN! Our school has 10 units of kindergarten. Go ahead.. let that sink in. That's TEN classes of at least 18 five year olds. 180 five year olds under one roof. I know.. it scares me too. 🤣

We have used every possible space in our building - every closet, work room, computer lab, gym, art room, music room, etc. is now being used for instructional purposes (converted into a classroom or used for tutoring). As a result, our district has purchased Learning Cottages (what you probably call a portable). We're big believers in life's what you make it, so at our school.. they're Learning Cottages and you won't hear anyone say otherwise.



The summer after my first year teaching, I was sitting in the airport when my principal called me. Her first question was if I was sitting down, which is never comforting. It was only a couple days before school was starting and she was calling to tell me that I would have to move out of my (already set up) classroom inside the building and into the library temporarily (with another teacher !!!) until my learning cottage arrived. As you can imagine, my second year self was devastated at the thought but I quickly got over it and got to work moving my belongings so that another teacher (an added kinder unit) could move it.

While in that season it was hard, it ended up being the BIGGEST BLESSING! I absolutely love my learning cottage and would not give it up for the world. The teacher I shared the library with became one of my closest friends and taught me so much that I would have never gotten to learn had I not shared the library with her. The weekend our cottages finally arrived, we were SO excited and stayed late into the night to get all moved in and set up just right for our students. This will be my 4th year in cottage land and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Home Sweet Cottage!

Two doors means two opportunities to decorate!


The view when you first walk in! I LOVE my tables and do not miss desks at all. I could not stand their mess! As you can see, I have a lot of flexible seating thanks to DonorsChoose.

My stage and picture book shelf - two essentials for me! This is where I do the majority of my teaching. Huge shoutout to Megan from Ms. Williams Y'all for walking me (aka the man at Home Depot) how to build the stage.

My classroom library - the heartbeat of my classroom! Give me ALL THE BOOKS!


I ditched my teacher desk my second year and never looked back. I use my kidney bean table as my home base and it forces me to keep it somewhat clean so I can still teach small groups.


The back of my room! I have 2 Nugget Comforts and to say that my students are obsessed would be an understatement. They're both from DonorsChoose!
  

One of my favorite areas in my classroom! The saying on the wall is a chant we do every morning together during morning meeting (I stole this from my friend Kathryn who adapted it from her church. It's my favorite!) The house crests on the door show off our house pride and are from Brittany at Miss5th!

Thanks for hanging in there! As a reminder, my classroom did NOT start off this way. I have collected a lot over the years and received MANY items thanks to the generous donors at DonorsChoose. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments